Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Heat Misers


It's September in Alaska. We have fresh snow on the mountains around town, our first frost appeared yesterday morning, and my flip flops are gathering dust. Last week, Danny and I discovered that our heat wasn't working. Good thing to find it out now, before survival depends on it. Our house stayed at a cool 60 degrees with no heat, although we got the temp to jump up a bit downstairs when we did some baking.

Yesterday I came home from work to find Danny and a friend of his working away in our boiler room. They replaced the heater's motor and attached an air compressor to get the pressure up and now we have heat! The coolest thing about this was that Danny did lots of the work (he's 'mechanically minded,' as my dad put it) and the more complicated stuff was free labor from his buddy and his buddy's neighbor. We settled the deal with the promise of a bottle of rum for their trouble. What a bargain!

On another note - at my office we have Tae Bo on Monday & Wednesday afternoons. I joined in on yesterday's workout and it was a riot. I'd done it a couple of times before, but had forgotten how goofy it felt. The music, the spandex, the motivational narration - it all adds up to an entertaining little workout. I didn't know what I was doing, but I don't think that really mattered. I'll get the hang of it, I guess. I promised my fellow Tae Bo'ers that I'll keep it up. Paid to work out - why did I ever pass that up? Oh yeah - sloth. I googled sloth, and found the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz where I discovered I am headed straight to hell. Bummer.

Your Sins are Revealed, Your Fate is Sealed Your sin has been measured. You have committed many sins, but Sloth is the mortal sin that has done you in. Just below, discover your full sinful breakdown and learn what it is about you that codemns you to hell.

Greed: Medium
Gluttony: Medium
Wrath: Very Low
Sloth: High
Envy: Very Low
Lust: Low
Pride: Very Low


Now that my house is nice and toasty, I think I can handle it.

3 comments:

conme411 said...

Hi Fifi...glad to hear that you have heat! I was a bit worried when you hung up Monday night talking about steam and water being everywhere.
You must really be looking forward to (and maybe also dreading) your upcoming fert. appt. One thing that I've learned over the years between the kid's and my appts is to make a list of questions (even if they seem dumb) to bring with me to the office. A lot of times once you're there face to face you forget or don't have the courage to ask about some things. If it's right there in my hand...I find it easier.
Well, guess this turning into more of a blog than a comment. I love your idea of a family space! Can't wait to see you. -Conni

CD and SP said...

my school offers a free CardioKarate class. i went last week and felt like a total uncoordinated freak, all that punching and kicking in the air!!! --cd

McNerney Family said...

Worry no more Sinner-watch your mail for more details....